Jen Shah says son was held at gunpoint by police agents

  • Jen Shah was convicted of a telemarketing fraud scheme in Manhattan federal court on Friday.
  • She apologized to her son and said officers were heavily armed during her March 2021 arrest.
  • Federal and local officials did not immediately return Insider’s request for comment Friday.

Jen Shah, one of the stars of “The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City,” apologized to her youngest son in court Friday, just before she was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison for participating in a telemarketing scam.

The 49-year-old reality star was arrested in March 2021 on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and money laundering.

Shah took a plea deal in July, admitting to the first charge. Her sentence was handed down Friday in Manhattan federal court, and her husband and two sons attended in support.

During the sentencing, Shah gave a statement in which she apologized to the victims, friends and family.

She also apologized to her youngest son Omar, a high school senior, for the “trauma” he experienced after Shah said he was “woke up with a gun, handcuffed and taken out of the house” the day she was arrested.

Omar sat with a steely face when he heard the public apology from his mother.

It was not the first time Shah has spoken about how she says her son was treated the same day she was arrested.

During episode 13 of season two of “The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City,” Shah was filmed telling actress Heather Gay that federal agents “pulled out AR-15s” on her son.

“We tell the boys, ‘You’re black in a predominantly white community. Like, don’t move, don’t say anything, be polite,'” Shah told Gay. “And it makes me sick, because what if they would have thought that Omar was moving the wrong way or doing something and they could have shot him or whatever?”

Insider reached out to Homeland Security Investigations, the Salt Lake City branch of the FBI, the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and the Summit County Sheriff’s Office for comment on Friday, but did not immediately receive a response from either agency. A Salt Lake City Police spokesperson said they were not involved in Shah’s arrest. A representative for Shah did not return Insider’s request for comment.

Shah was sentenced Friday in connection with a telemarketing fraud scheme that prosecutors said she participated in for nearly a decade. Shah was described as one of the ringleaders of the scheme, providing leads to telemarketer victims to target, most of whom were over 55.

She will turn herself in to begin her sentence on February 17.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *